Thursday, January 14, 2010

True Toddler




Eston transitioned to the toddler room at daycare yesterday! I thought I would be sad when that day came because it was a tangible indicator that Eston isn't a baby anymore. But I'm actually relieved that he was invited to transition because he's an old man in the infant room now. I know he'll have a blast with the older toddlers and get to do a lot more activities. The two milestones he had to achieve to move were walking and eating table food. He hasn't been big on table food yet, but I think the peer pressure in the toddler room is helping. Yesterday, the wonderful toddler teacher apparently exclaimed, "Boy [very drawn out with much attitude]!" and stuck Eston's hand in some food. He obediently began eating. I'm relieved that they provide all food and beverage in that room, and we can stop preparing refreshments for him in the morning.

Eston is babbling more, and his most common phrases are "uh oh" [whenever he drops or throws something] and "no" [said sweetly with an energetic shaking of his head]. Randy and Eston have long conversations during which they both say "uh oh" back and forth about 100 times. Sometimes Eston says "uh oh" without dropping something. Here is a conversation we had last weekend in the car:

Me: Look Eston! A DeKalb County police car is beside us.
Eston: Uh oh!

He is great at identifying animals in books and on toys. He has a long baby animal encyclopedia, with one animal on each page. Last night, he correctly identified nearly every animal in the book. Of course, he only had two options per turn, so he had a 50% chance each time.

Also, Eston knows German. ;-) We have a new, wonderful housemate named Britta, and she taught him some German songs that she claims he has already sung back to her. And he knows how to say, "Prost (cheers in German)" and touch his sippy cup to yours. By the end of the year, he may actually know some German.

No comments: