Sunday, August 8, 2010

Jekyll Island - GACE Conference









Eston and Randy joined me for a trip to Jekyll Island for a conference of the Georgia Association of Colleges & Employers. I was especially excited to go to Jekyll because I have many wonderful memories there with my friend Avery and her family. Eston saw an ocean for the first time. He seemed to realize that it is not an ordinary amount of water as he exclaimed, "Wa-wa! Wa-wa! Wa-wa!" Randy and Eston explored the island while I attended meetings (which is apparently really tiring because Eston typically thinks big beds are too fun for sleeping, but I caught them napping together after a conference session). Eston joined university career counselors and employers on the dance floor one evening. And he had the chance to play with Avery's mom and sister while they generously offered to babysit while Randy and I biked around the island, but he felt very comfortable there, napped for almost 4 hours, and totally missed playing with them! On the way back, we visited my grandparents in Sandersville, GA. To break up the drive, we asked our GPS to find a park so we could all stretch. The "park" our GPS indicated didn't exist, but that detour led us to an amazing sun flower farm. Also, the most direct route from Jekyll to Sandersville goes through Fort Stewart, but our GPS didn't consider that we do not have rights to enter an army base. Fortunately, the guard took pity on us and didn't make us backtrack 40 miles. We love seeing the "tank crossing" signs.

No comments: