Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The Difference in Italians and Americans



My wonderful aunt Carlotta is Italian and is concerned about our baby's shoe wardrobe. I didn't think babies who cannot yet walk needed shoes, as long as their feet are warm, but apparently that is not good enough when you have Italian relatives.

Carlotta: I love the wardobe!! What about his/her shoe wardobe???

Lauren: You would be VERY disappointed in the quantity of shoes in our baby's wardrobe. It only consists of the adorable shoes you sent with Lee recently and one other cute pair. Luckily, the baby doesn't really need shoes for awhile (although Italians may disagree). :-)

Carlotta: ...of course Italians disagree!!! My little niece/nephew going around naked feet in the middle of winter???? or with SPORT socks??!! no way!!! OK- I'll get the baby some more shoes... no problem, I'll fix the problem !!

This situation reminds me of a hilarious sign Randy and I saw when we were hiking in Italy in May 2007. We were about to start the trek up a huge and very steep mountain when we spotted a sign with a high heeled shoe and the universal "no" symbol crossing through the image. Where else in the world, aside from Italy, would you need to put a warning about not hiking in high heels?!

I'm lucky to have my aunt Carlotta to help me and our baby with fashion!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is this my cue to warn want-a-be Baby McDow shoe shoppers that Lauren was born with such big feet that her toes extended well beyond the borders on the hospital footprint records?

Mary said...

Robeez are the way to go! We received a pair as a baby gift and then bought 3 more pair. They were GREAT!
-MC