Sunday, September 28, 2008

Crib Slats

Here, Mary Lynn and I have sorted the crib slats into color groupings.  I had the idea of ordering the slats from light to dark and back, starting in the front or on the side.  Mary Lynn improved on that (in my opinion) by suggesting that each side progress from dark to light and back.  So the slats will be darkest nearest the legs, and lightest in the middle.
Miraculously, I had just the right number of slats from each color grouping to have even distribution of them for each side.  

Mary Lynn had been strongly pushing for me to stain them how many ever coats it took to get them to all be the same color (or paint the whole thing white if that wouldn't work).  Family friend and my woodworking mentor Jim Barrett made the point that we got nice wood to show off the grain, so why mess with that?  I am glad that we found a decision that Mary Lynn would support.

No comments: