Sunday, September 14, 2008

Slats

Here I am showing the results of my tests on getting the slats to the proper diameter to fit in holes.  This is also the distance they'll be apart--pretty close, so no baby head passing in between!

The trick is to take off as little wood as possible, so that it is as tight a fit as possible.  The slat starts about 1/2" in diameter, and I made a little jig to make it easy to take off just a little bit, all the way around.  The end of the slats then have to be cleaned up a tiny bit, using a chisel and some sand paper.  I'll also use some glue to seat them permanently when the time comes.

The slats that you see here still need to be stained and get a coat or two of polyacrylic.

1 comment:

Mary said...

Randolph:
Diego did a lot of research on what coating to put on our crib. We ended up with a resin (I think). Email D if you're interested in more info.
-MC